In the internet age, the world is extremely dynamic and digitally driven. More and more institutes have increased their dependency on information systems. These systems are used to streamline operations, inspire innovation, and enhance decision-making. Since the demand for skilled professionals in the domain of information systems is continuously growing, a Master’s in Management Information Systems (MIS) is one of the most popular programs among students. A lot of international students who want to study MIS are considering advancing their education in the information management and information technology domains in the USA. Over 150 academic organizations in the US offer MIS courses for international students. Here is a detailed guide for students who want to pursue MIS courses in USA:
What is MIS in Information Systems?
MIS stands for Masters in Management Information Systems. MIS is an interdisciplinary course focusing on information technology, computer science, and business studies. This program can be thought of as a unique mixture of the skill sets and knowledge that students need to manage, implement, design, and analyze complicated information systems.
What are the benefits of studying MIS courses in USA?
Here are some advantages of studying MIS program in the USA:
Obtaining an MIS degree could open lots of doors for you. You can avail many different career opportunities and even get a salary hike from your previous role. A lot of different organizations prefer hiring candidates who hold a Master’s degree in senior MIS and IT positions.
When studying your graduate course in MIS, you can easily specialize in fields that interest you and are relevant to your Master’s degree. These can be project management, data analytics, and cybersecurity. You can also specialize in the latest advanced technology in the MIS field in the US to upskill and be an attractive applicant after you graduate.
Studying a professional course in MIS and obtaining a graduate degree helps you in networking with industry professionals. You gain contacts in your industry that will prove to be valuable once you graduate. These networks can also help you in getting lucrative job opportunities as well as internships. International students can easily enjoy these benefits from building a substantial professional network.
What are the top universities that offer MIS courses in USA?
The USA hosts some of the best universities for MIS worldwide. Here are some of the best colleges and universities located in the USA that provide MS in Information Systems courses:
- California State University, Long Beach, offers a Master of Science in Information Systems. The duration of this course is two years.
- Wright State University has a Master of Science in Information Systems course that is two years long.
- Pace University offers a Master of Science in Information Systems course, typically a fifteen-month commitment.
- Devry University has a Master of Science in Information Systems Management course that is two years long.
- University of Nevada, Reno, offers a Master of Science in Information Systems. The course is two years long.
- George Mason University provides a Master of Science in Information Systems. The duration of this program is two years.
- Cleveland State University has a Master of Science in Information Systems course that is two years long.
- Arizona State University, Tempe Campus offers a Master of Science in Information Systems Management. The duration of this course is one year.
- Hofstra University offers a Master of Science in Information Systems, which requires a time commitment of two years.
- DePaul University has a Master of Science in Information Systems course that is two years long.
- Saint Louis University provides its students with an option to pursue a Master of Science in Information Systems. The course takes two years to complete.
- Rider University has a Master of Science in Information Systems program that is typically two years long.
- California State University, San Bernardino, offers a Master of Science in Information Systems and Technology. This program is typically a two-year-long commitment.
- Northwest Missouri State University has a Master of Science in Information Systems, which takes around 16 months to complete.
Specific eligibility criteria for admission for international students in MIS programs in the USA depends on the university that you want to attend. It is often advised to check these details on the official website or brochure of the college that you want to attend. However, here are some broad requirements that are followed by most universities for admission into their Master’s program.
Candidates need to hold a three or four-year undergraduate degree issued by a renowned college or university.
During their undergraduate international students need to maintain at least a 3.0-grade point average to be eligible for admission.
Since you are applying for admission to MIS courses in USA, you need to have completed some pre-requisite courses in databases and programming as part of your previous academic education.
All candidates are required to submit official academic transcripts that are issued by their previously attended educational organizations. Ensure that your transcripts offer substantial performance academically.
International students should submit their standardized test scores for exams such as IELTS and TOEFL.
You may also be required to submit your GMAT or GRE scores to secure admission to an MIS program in the USA.
To gain admission to a Master of Science in Information Systems in the USA, here are some documents that international students are required to submit in their application. These specific requirements can differ slightly based on the college that you are applying to, but you can check these details on the official website.
- Copy of your passport
- Academic transcript
- Resume or CV
- English proficiency scores
- Passport sized photos
- Letters of recommendations
- Statement of purpose
- Financial documents that show proof of funds
Here is the general application process to study an MIS program in the USA:
- Look for different MIS courses and colleges to narrow down your choices based on your interest.
- Ensure that you meet all the eligibility criteria to gain admission to the course. Check English language proficiency test requirements, GPA requirements, standardized test scores, and educational qualifications.
- Collate all the mandated documents for admission, such as letters of recommendation, statements of purpose, resumes, English language test scores, and academic transcripts.
- Most colleges accept applications filled and submitted online. It is best to complete your application online and pay the fee. Make sure that you save a copy of your receipt for future reference.
- Check the status of your application regularly to make sure that you submitted all documents and have no next steps.
- The admissions committee will inform their decisions regarding your admission via email. You will also obtain a formal offer for admission that includes all particular requirements of the course, such as program fees.
- Accept your admission offer, confirm enrollment by paying the mandated fees and secure your seat in the course.
Pursuing an MS in Information Systems is one of the most lucrative and rewarding courses for international students who are interested in both technology and business. It is crucial that you research aspects of the program, such as career opportunities, financial aid, the course faculty, the reputation of the program in the industry, etc. For further information on MIS courses in USA contact the best study visa consultant near you.