Australia is a popular destination for education among international students. The country provides low-cost quality education to over 500,000 students every year. Choosing the right college, course, and program is just the first step if you want to go abroad for your higher education in Australia. You also need to keep the different timelines for admission intakes in mind. In this article, we will look at the significant admission intakes followed in Australia in detail:
What are the various intakes followed in Australian universities?
Even though the precise admission dates broadly vary as per the academic university as well as the program you wish to pursue, there are specific typical admission intakes that prospective candidates should be familiar with while looking for programs and colleges in Australia. Two significant academic intakes in Australia focus on the two semesters colleges are open for admission. These are:
- February intake: The February intake is the primary Australia intake 2023. This intake accepts a large number of applications from students all over the world. Many courses are offered during the February intake. International students also get the opportunity to avail a number of scholarships that are typically offered during the February intake.
- July intake: The July intake only accepts a limited number of applications. A few courses are offered during the July intake.
- September or November intake: The September intake offers specific courses that are open to enrollment.
The February intake for admission to different universities in Australia is for the academic sessions that typically start at the beginning of the year. Also, the deadlines for admission applications are generally well before the commencement of the intake. Naturally, deadlines tend to be around three months before the semester begins. So, if you want to apply to colleges in Australia for admission during the February intake, it is advised to finish your application before April. Most importantly, you should have gathered all the required documents before submitting your application.
Which documents are required to apply to study in Australia?
Generally, international students are required to include the following documents along with their application:
- Academic transcripts for previously attended institutes
- International students must provide standardized English language tests such as PTE, TOEFL, or IELTS as proof of their competence in the English language.
- At least 2-3 Letters of Recommendation (LORs) or reference letters signed and written by your professional references or previous academic professors.
- A Statement of Purpose (SOP) that outlines your intent to pursue a particular course from the university of your choice.
- An updated resume
- A student visa for Australia must be obtained once you receive your acceptance letter from the college you plan to attend.
- Proof of funds must be provided.
- If you want to apply for financial aid or student loans, you must also provide any related documents.
- Scores for competitive examinations such as GRE or GMAT if you want to apply for a postgraduate course.
- Any related certificates
Do you need to appear for GMAT or GRE examination to apply for the Australia intake 2023?
Appearing for the GMAT or GRE examination is not compulsory to apply for the Australia intake 2023. However, some colleges and universities may need international students to appear for these examinations based on the course they are opting to pursue. The score obtained in these competitive examinations may also help you in obtaining financial aid and scholarships.
Which standardized English language proficiency tests are accepted during intake in Australia 2023?
Colleges and universities located in Australia generally accept most standardized English language proficiency tests. However, before applying to the academic institutions that you are interested in attending, you must refer to the specific eligibility criteria required for the course of your choice on their website. Here are some standardized English language proficiency tests that are generally accepted by colleges in Australia:
- CAE, or Cambridge C1 Advanced test: International students must achieve an overall score of 169 to 176 on the test to secure admission to colleges based in Australia. The score you obtain must be higher than 169 in each category.
- IELTS, or the International English Language Testing System: International students must achieve an overall score of 6.0 to 6.5 on the test to secure admission to colleges based in Australia. The score you obtain must be higher than 5.5 in each band.
- TOEFL iBT or the Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test: International students must achieve an overall score of 60 to 90 on the test to secure admission to colleges based in Australia.
- PTE Academic or the Pearson Test of English Academic: International students must achieve an overall score of 50 to 64 on the test to secure admission to colleges based in Australia. The score you obtain must be higher than 169 in each category.
- OET or the Occupational English Test: International students must pass the test with a minimum grade of A or B to secure admission to colleges based in Australia.
What are the other admission intakes offered in Australia?
Even though both February and July admission intakes are available for programs at all levels, the country also offers other admission intakes during the months of September and November. These admission intakes are offered to admit students for short-term and vocational courses at colleges and academic institutes in Australia. Only a few universities offer these courses, and since the number of applicants is less, it is typically easier to gain admission during this intake.
Which admission intake in Australia 2023 should you opt for?
The admission intakes in Australia can create a significant impact on the overall admission process. Various intakes in Australia 2023 have different deadlines that international students must follow. Here are some factors that you should keep in mind while selecting your admission intake:
- Availability of the course you want to pursue: You need to check whether the course you want to study is being offered in the admission intake that you are considering.
- Prerequisites for admission: Make sure that you check the various prerequisites and eligibility criteria prior to starting your application.
- Degree of competition: Since the February intake is the primary intake in Australia, a large number of applicants apply during this time. This also means that the amount of competition would be higher as compared to other intakes.
- Acceptance rate: Generally, the acceptance rate of colleges is higher during the February intake as colleges offer a large number of courses.
Are there any scholarships offered during intake in Australia 2023?
Australia is a popular education hub among students worldwide due to the vast number of scholarships offered in the country. International students can benefit from need as well as merit-based scholarships offered during various admission intakes in the country. Here are a few scholarships offered to international students:
- Adelaide Global Academic Excellence Scholarships for International Students
- Australian Government Research Training
- Vice Chancellor’s International Scholarship Scheme at the University of Sydney
- Griffith Remarkable Scholarship
- CDU Vice Chancellor’s International High Achievers Scholarships
- ADB Japan Scholarship program for developing countries in Asia and Pacific
- The University of Sydney International Scholarship
- The Global Excellence Scholarship at the University of Western Australia
Whether you want to study at the postgraduate level or the undergraduate level in Australia, the country follows detailed admission intakes. Various universities and academic institutions in Australia design these admission intakes based on the courses offered. They are typically divided into different periods and are ordinarily open for up to 3 months.