Australia presents tremendous educational prospects for international students who wish to obtain a Master’s of Education. A Master’s of Education or an M.Ed. degree is a popular postgraduate course in Australia that concentrates on advanced education. This program is specially curated for professionals and educators who want to explore leadership opportunities, improve their teaching skills, and enhance their knowledge in the field of education. The M.Ed. courses in Australia are recognized throughout the world. Graduates from this program generally obtain employment in different kinds of educational environments, such as non-profit organizations, government agencies, universities, and schools. This article explores everything you need to know about pursuing a Master’s of Education from an Australian academic institute.
Why should you pursue a Master’s of Education in Australia?
Here are some of the most crucial reasons why you should consider pursuing a Master’s of Education in Australia:
- Australia is famous for its world-renowned education system. It houses some of the best academic organizations that are consistently ranked high in global rankings. Australia is one of the most developed countries globally that puts a great emphasis on its quality of education. International students get a chance to study M.Ed. programs from some of the best educational organizations globally.
- Australia provides international students with a chance to choose what they wish to study from a wide variety of M.Ed. courses. This enables international students to decide between specialized tracks that focus on particular domains such as TESOL, educational leadership, special education, and early childhood education or general degrees. International students can decide their choice based on their interests. Some Australian colleges and universities even allow international students to audit some courses before they make their selections to help them in making an informed choice.
- Pursuing a Master’s in Education from Australia offers international students a fresh outlook on education. The country has been focused on incorporating innovative approaches and best practices followed worldwide. International students who are enrolled in M.Ed. courses will be able to benefit from these as part of their curriculum.
- Australia is one of the most popular countries for international students who want to advance their education. Australia is home to a rich multicultural international student body that is exceptionally diverse. This diversity helps in improving the overall learning experience of international students and provides them with valuable support.
- After graduating and obtaining their Master of Education from Australian colleges and universities, international students can easily become eligible to obtain a post-study work visa. This work visa enables international students to work for a maximum of two years in Australia itself after they graduate.
- Australian educational organizations have some of the most highly-paid teachers in colleges and universities. Teachers and professors in Australia are highly valued by the country’s educational organizations. This means that once you graduate from your M.Ed. course in Australia, you will join this elite workforce with highly-paid university teachers. Also, you get the opportunity to learn from the best of the best while you are studying for a Master of Education in Australia.
What are some of the best colleges and universities in Australia that offer Master of Education courses?
Here are some of the best academic institutes in Australia that provide Master of Education programs for international students:
- Monash University
- Victoria University
- University of Wollongong
- University of Melbourne
- University of New South Wales
- University of Adelaide
- La Trobe University
- University of South Australia
- Edith Cowan University
- RMIT University
What are some scholarships available for international students who want to study Master’s of Education in Australia?
Here are some of the most popular scholarships available for international students in Australia who want to pursue an M.Ed. :
● Australia Awards Scholarships:
Australia Awards Scholarships are entirely funded by the Australian government. These scholarships aim to help international students who are originally from developing countries. Australia Awards Scholarships cover living expenses, airfare, and tuition fees for international students. The criteria are, however, dependent on the citizenship of the applicant.
● Endeavour Leadership Program:
Endeavour Leadership Program aims to support international students who are high-achieving by offering them financial support. This scholarship offers support for postgraduate international students in Australia. The grant covers health insurance, travel allowance, living allowance, and tuition fees.
● University-specific Scholarships
Many prominent scholarships in Australia are offered by the university that international students are planning to attend. The criteria for awarding university-specific scholarships in Australia is generally financial need or academic performance. Here are some university-specific scholarships for international students:
- The University of Melbourne Graduate Scholarships
- University of Queensland International Scholarships
- The University of Sydney International Scholarships
- Australian National University (ANU) Scholarships for International Students
- Monash University International Merit Scholarships
● Destination Australia Scholarships
Destination Australia Scholarships are entirely granted by the Australian government. These scholarships aim to entice international students to continue their education in Australia. Destination Australia Scholarships provide up to 15,000 AUD each year as living expenses and tuition fees.
Here are some costs that you should estimate when considering the overall investment you need to make to study for a Master’s of Education in Australia:
● Tuition fees:
The calculated cost to study a Master’s of Education course in Australia could be anywhere from 25,000 AUD to 60,000 AUD per annum for international students. This tuition fee is largely based on the duration of your program and the college you are planning to study in.
● Living expenses:
The general cost of living for international students in Australia is based on where international students decide to live. Typically significant cities in Australia are more expensive than smaller ones. On average, international students generally spend around 20,000 AUD to 25,000 AUD each year on living expenses. This cost includes personal expenses, transportation, food, and accommodation.
Here are the general steps how international students can apply for financial aid in Australia:
To apply for financial aid in Australia, here are some general steps that international students should follow:
- Research about the various kinds of scholarships that are provided by the Australian government.
- If you want to secure a student loan, make a list of the general requirements for international students set by Australian banks.
- Ensure that you review the eligibility criteria and the deadlines for application submission for each scholarship you are interested in. You should also check whether these scholarships accept international students who have applied to specific institutes.
- Work on your scholarship application. Typically you will need to finish your scholarship application properly. You may also need to include why you want to study in Australia, your career goals and objectives, and a personal essay that focuses on academic achievements.
- Get a few letters of recommendation from your coworkers, seniors, employers, professors, or teachers, who can easily attest to your professional, academic, and personal abilities.
Studying for a Master of Education in Australia presents international students with an enriching understanding of the field of education, and it definitely turns out to be an excellent investment for your career. There are a lot of academic institutes in Australia that provide international students with amazing opportunities, the choice to handpick their courses and excellent career prospects with post-study work visas.